Do you want to go fast? Are you budget-conscious? If so, you’re in luck. We scraped every automaker’s build site to track down the ten most affordable cars with more than 400 horsepower. To keep things organized, we omitted cars with more than 500 horsepower, but don’t worry—you can find that next bracket of budget bruisers right here.
Honorable Mention: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette: $59,995, 495 HP
The eighth-generation Corvette almost made this list, but then we remembered that the Tesla Model 3 Performance exists. If the electric sport sedan wasn’t on the market, the Corvette would have brought up the rear with its sub-$60,000 495 horsepower, which is still quite a lot of bang for the buck. The mid-engine American sport sedan lacks the 5 horsepower that would have put it in the next bracket, but really, these thresholds are arbitrary; the latest ‘Vette still has the stuff for us to name it an Automobile All-Star.
10. 2020 BMW M2 Competition: $59,895, 405 HP
9. 2020 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400: $58,175, 400 HP
Infiniti’s somewhat aged but still quick coupe finds a spot on our list at number nine. Powered by a twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6 engine good for 400 horsepower, the sporty two-door can attain 60 mph from a standstill in just 4.8 seconds. When we first drove the Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400, we praised its styling and rapidity. Neither of those things has changed in the years since.
8. 2020 Volvo S60 R-Design T8 eAWD Plug-in Hybrid: $56,395, 400 HP
This was the biggest surprise for me when I was building this list. Never did I expect a Volvo to be one of the most affordable 400-horsepower cars on sale right now. This engine-up-front, motor-in-the-rear sport sedan doesn’t quite have the same gusto as its Polestar Engineered sibling, but its 495 pound-feet of torque should erase any doubt that the S60 T8 is worthy of its spot on this list. With the added benefit of a hybrid all-wheel drive system, expect a 0-60-mph sprint of around 4.5 seconds.
7. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance: $56,190, 450 HP
This is the only all-electric entry on this list, but the Model 3 Performance has the fastest 0-60–mph time of any of these cars. Thanks to its dual motors and all-wheel drive, it’s capable of making the sprint in just 3.1 seconds. That’s supercar quick. It also has all of the practicality of a sedan and up to an impressive 322 miles of range when equipped with 18-inch wheels.
6. 2020 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400: $55,275, 400 HP
To think this could have been the GT-R-powered Q50 Eau Rouge hurts too much to think about. Putting that too-tantalizing thought in the back of our mind, we can still appreciate this affordable sport sedan’s 400 horsepower and 350 pound-feet of torque. We called the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 a driver’s car in our first drive review even if it didn’t quite have the refinement to catch up to the segment leaders.
5. 2020 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack: $41,990, 485 HP
The four most affordable cars with more than 400 horsepower are all American made, and that makes sense given that the muscle car was born here. Dodge’s offerings are tied for pricing, both ringing up just shy of $41,990. The family-oriented enthusiast will find more than enough grunt on tap with the Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack, which packs a formidable 485 horsepower.
4. 2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack: $41,490, 485 HP
3. 2021 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1SS $38,495, 455 HP
Now we leave MOPAR and pay a visit to GM. The Camaro SS is several thousand dollars less expensive to get into than its crosstown rival but suffers a 30-horsepower penalty. That said, the Camaro 1SS rides on one of the best-handling sports-muscle car platforms on the market and its 455 horsepower is nothing to sneeze at—just be mindful of blind spots. With 455 pound-feet of twist on tap, the Camaro SS is sure to entertain.
2. 2020 Ford Mustang GT: $37,075, 460 HP
The Mustang GT undercuts the Camaro SS on price and tops its primary competitor’s power output by 5 horsepower. The Mustang is shy on torque compared to the Camaro with 420 pound-feet of twist on hand, though. Ford’s platform isn’t as well-regarded as Chevy’s nimble chassis, short of its GT500 form, but that won’t stop drivers from having fun in this thoroughbred pony car.
1. 2020 Chevrolet Camaro LT1: $34,995, 455 HP
10 Cheapest 400+ Horsepower Cars
- 2020 BMW M2 Competition: $59,895 405 HP
- 2020 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400: $58,175 400 HP
- 2020 Volvo S60 R-Design T8 eAWD Plug-in Hybrid: $56,395 400 HP
- 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance: $56,190 450 HP
- 2020 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400: $55,275 400 HP
- 2020 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack: $41,990 485 HP
- 2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack: $41,490 485 HP
- 2021 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1SS $38,495 455 HP
- 2020 Ford Mustang GT: $37,075 460 HP
- 2020 Chevrolet Camaro LT1: $34,995 455 HP